i walked to the east village for cookies today, just as i did last friday. it was a hot and sticky walk and my clothes were damp and fit for the laundry pile when i returned. i think it was 95, real feel 103. (we're taking the cookies to my sister's tomorrow.)
it was a pretty day, though, and i can usually stay in the shade of the buildings as i walk cross town.
it feels so good to walk through the neighborhood again, and not feel terrified of covid (i also visited whiskers pet store for kitty lysine treats for minerva, where i hadn't been for at least a year).
my last stop was at the butcher store in my neighborhood. the fun thing about shopping at veniero's and carrying a veniero's bag is that the local shop owners will usually exclaim "you've been to veniero's!" today the usual exclamation was followed by, "did you walk there today? what did you get? the chocolate dipped cookies?! you better get home before they melt!" hopefully, they survived. they're in the refrigerator now.
i put up a bunch of posts from this week, starting with friday evening.






Are people not scared because of Delta? In Europe many countries are putting new restrictions into place.
ReplyDeleteVeniero is very famous then? It does sound like too hot. Jonathan has similar temperatures.
I think the people who are dining inside are not scared of Delta. I think the outside diners are more cautious, and so choose to eat outdoors. There might be more restrictions here soon, perhaps. My feelings about the illness are based on better facts than March 2020, and so I'm more comfortable walking around the city. Everyone wears masks here when shopping inside the stores. All stores request that masks be worn, and our apartment complex requires everyone to wear masks in the stairwells . . so I haven't been as worried about the Delta variant; but am appropriately cautious!
DeleteInteresting about the masks: Almost nobody is wearing masks here anymore, although unvaccinated people are supposed to. Our county had the lowest vaccination rate in the state and most people don't believe in getting vaccinated. So I assume that most people in stores have not been vaccinated. Our church is going to have a picnic with all three parishes together, but we are not going. We don't think it is safe. They also want to have a mask-burning to celebrate the end of the pandemic . . . I think that this is not responsible and also not charitable.
DeleteWhen I attended the essential workers parade here in the city, I heard a woman on one of the floats saying how we should all be happy that the pandemic was over and everything was opening up. I can only surmise that these people don't read newspapers or listen to the news and so do not realize that the situation is not completely over, and that dangerous variants are spreading. I feel confident that we can stay healthy if we follow the protocol of masking wearing, vaccinating and when necessary - social distancing. It's sad that people want to burn their masks and don't realize how important masks are in keeping others safe.
DeleteI know, it is so frustrating to hear people like that! Nobody likes masks, of course, but if they help to keep people out of hospitals. And yes, just look around in the world: It is not over and in many industrialized countries (France, Great Britain, and here) numbers of new cases are rising rapidly.
Delete