do you still remember: falling stars?
do you still remember: falling stars?
how they leapt slantwise through the sky
like horses over suddenly held-out hurdles
of our wishes--did we have so many?---
for stars, innumerable, leapt everywhere;
almost every gaze upward became
wedded to the swift hazard of their play,
and our heart felt like a single thing
beneath that vast disintegration of their brilliance--
and was whole, as if it would survive them!
by
rainer maria rilke (1875 - 1926)

What a coincidence! I told my students about Rainer Maria Rilke today :). Happy Valentine's Day! Too bad it is Ash Wednesday at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThat's so perfect that you told your students about him today! I love this poem :) Yes, my sister was commenting on how it's the same time this year also. Hey! You should watch the German figures pairs gold winning free skate! It was beautiful!! Chanda and I are so happy that they won. We thought they were very good, and Christopher Dean choreographed their piece. I was impressed by that.
DeleteThere was a Doodle Googgle about Paula Modersohn-Becker the other day, so we talked about Worpswede and the artists there, including Rilke. I will try to find the German ice skaters.
DeleteThat's very interesting about Worpswede. I saw the doodle and the reference to Paula Modersohn-Becker, but didn't look more closely. Now I will have to :)
DeleteJust check my blog post for the German skaters: österreich and happy germans
DeleteAll the artists during that time are highly interesting! I love going to Worpswede. It is very close to where your family is from.
DeleteI will check that link, I think I did notice that you posted something, but I have been preoccupied with Jonathan. He got really sick and has missed classes for almost a week now. It was getting better, but then it got worse. We have been on the phone with him and have been e-mailing like crazy. No time for blogging at all!
I'm so sorry to hear about Jonathan! We hope he's feeling better soon! We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers. xoxo
DeleteHe did recover eventually!
Delete