so we've returned to the city again . . i heard it was going to be very warm and i was prepared to stay another week at the beach, but chanda was ready to come home. it was good we did as she began rehearsals yesterday for a small ballet performance that will be happening in madison square park next week. we were having lunch with our friends whom we hadn't seen all summer when her ballet teacher called asking, where was she? we had never received the emails with the rehearsal dates!
here is this evening's dinner . . san's soup! butternut squash with nut butter soup . . (it was so delicious, thank you san!)
from the river cottage cookbook . .
which we had found in the southampton library. we'll return it this coming weekend as we will be going east again for the memorial day holiday . . and to check in with my parents. they like the company these days. i think. they can use the help but my dad doesn't always welcome it as he's very independent and doesn't like to feel that he can't do all the things he used to do . . (sigh). growing old is not easy.
chanda and i have been watching giselle. both movies take place in milano at la scala, but one is with rudolph nureyev and carla fracci from 1980, and the other is with roberto bolle and svetlana zakharova from 2005. i think tomorrow we'll try and see alessandra ferri dance the part on youtube. there are several versions with her from paris opera, la scala and abt . . not all of them are the full ballet. i enjoy seeing all the different dancers and versions . . though i suppose my commentary can get a bit annoying . . "hmm, they certainly do a lot of mooning over each other in this one," "her shoes look painful," "how come he didn't cling to the cross in this one . . where's the scene where they try to kill him . . isn't she supposed to dance him to death?"





I had to laugh about your Giselle comments. Is Chanda going to perform it? We will have the Nutcracker here. Jonathan and Charlotte will be in it. Jonathan once danced in it before: He was six and a mouse! That was his first performance. There has not been a Nutcracker ballet since then here.
ReplyDeleteYes, it must be hard to get older and to accept help from others. I think this is harder for men. Wishing you a lot of patience and love for the situation. One day we will be the old ones and we will hope that our children will treat us with love and patience.
You put a picture of you up there! Very nice!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes wonder how I will give my children a hard time. Since I am very much like my father, I see how I think I can be less of a problem, but I'm sure there is something that I cannot see . . I can only hope that they will be patient with me! And I hope I am modelling good patient behavior :)
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you will have a Nutcracker this year! I really enjoy it, even after all the many Nutcrackers I've seen! The music is very beautiful and I never tire of hearing it. All of you will have fun :)
(I think I like my picture! Though I've been considering putting up a mochaccino again!)
Maybe it is good we don't know how we will be when we are old and dependent on help. You remind me a lot of Korrina in that picture. I never thought so before. I do like it more than the coffee.
Deletethanks eva :) these days people usually say that chanda looks like me. we both have a small head like my dad (my nephew does also-it's a trait from the sicilian side . . a few of my cousins look similar). korrina is petite like me thought . . chanda has gotten quite tall, even taller than morgana these days i think.
DeleteSo Chanda is the tallest? I think I am tallest of my sisters.
Delete