Thursday, August 21, 2014

along the way

(my sister sent me this photo from her ferry ride home today)



long island sound
by emma lazarus

i see it as it looked one afternoon
in august,-by a fresh soft breeze o'erblown.
the swiftness of the tide, the light thereon,
a far-off sail, white as a crescent moon.
the shining waters with pale currents strewn,
the quiet fishing-smacks, the eastern cove,
the semi-circle of its dark, green grove.
the luminous grasses, and the merry sun
in the grave sky; the sparkle far and wide,
laughter of unseen children, cheerful chirp
of crickets, and low lisp of rippling tide,
light summer clouds fantastical as sleep
changing unnoted while I gazed thereon.
all these fair sounds and sights I made my own.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Could be a postcard and the poem goes so well with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She doesn't have a fancy phone camera (it's just a flip top) and it really caught a nice picture. It must have been something with the lighting.

      Delete