Sunday, August 3, 2014

my cousin comes to visit

 my cousin, whom i haven't seen in . . years! . . came to visit. she arrived yesterday and cooked a huge dinner for all of us. being a cragnotti, she only knows how to cook in massive quantities, so there's leftovers for my mom and dad and i for the next two days! 

greg and i drove out with my cousin and her boyfriend to show them the lighthouse (she last saw it when it was wrapped in multi-colored lights for christmastime). then we stopped to show them lake montauk (the above pic) which used to be fresh water before they created an inlet.



 two deer strolled by, much to my cousin's delight.

time to get back on the road. they move to south carolina from new jersey in two weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Flora just pointed at your dad and asked me if he was your father! Then she added that you don't look old, but that your father did. She is supposed to be asleep, but she took a long nap today and is entertaining me now.

    Pretty deer and so nice you could see your cousin. All my cousins are much, much younger than I am, over 10 years. I don't have any contact to them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora is very smart :) I think my father is rather old! He'll be 88 on Saturday. He's had a difficult time this year recuperating from the chemo/radiation for the cancer he had. It has greatly aged him. I do feel for him.

      I really don't have much contact with my cousins either. When we do finally see each other, we all feel like: why can't we do this more often? It's because we all live at opposite ends of the country: Florida, New York, Georgia and Arizona.

      Delete
    2. Are driving out to celebrate? Say happy birthday to him even though he doesn't know me, will you?

      I haven't seen my cousins in ages. I think I saw my oldest cousin 15 years ago, some other cousin over 20 or more years ago (I do think it was his First Holy Communion, that makes it maybe 35 years ago?). Only Sebastian, I saw more "recent": 8 years ago, I believe. And the others, I don't even remember. Kind of sad.

      Delete
    3. Yes, we had a nice celebration! Thank you for the good wishes for him! He received a lot of phone calls from nieces and nephews in other states. It was nice. He was still aware of which ones he didn't hear from!! He's their last Uncle on their mothers' side so it's nice to have them call him. His three sisters have passed away a number of years ago. Two of my cousins plan on visiting him in September. That will be nice.

      It's not easy keeping up with cousins. It is a little sad. It's nice when paths do cross. Greg has many cousins he doesn't see, but every once in awhile they will help each other out. Like one year his cousin called to ask Greg to meet his daughter at the airport. She was coming into the city for a ballet intensive, just like Chanda did in London. So Greg met her at the airport and escorted her to her residential hall. I suggested that we should have her over for dinner, but he said, no, she wouldn't be interested. I consider his family to be very "spartan." They are descended from the Puritans who came over in 1636 and in many ways they are independent and unemotional, very stoic; not at all like my crazy Italian and German families who came over in the early 1900's.

      Delete
    4. So maybe you and Greg are complete opposites when considering your background?

      Delete