Monday, August 4, 2014

in the city

 we were out of the city, and now we're back in the city . . 

 greg and i got back last night from having been at my parents' place all week. we were scraping, sanding and painting the back of the house. my sister did the front two weeks ago with her husband and son. painting a house is a lot of hard work! 

but what's happening here? well . . we went to move the car this evening and discovered we had a flat tire . . 

 with the help of the car manual greg changed it and all was well.

the spare is actually a full size tire so we have a little time before we need to repair the flat. the car is being inspected next saturday so we'll probably have it looked at then. the pic above was taken from the gas station where we filled the spare with air (it was very low-it's a dollar for air here in the big apple!) looking southeast across eighth avenue towards horatio street.

----

chanda has been at san's! she returned today to her cousin's in london. she said she had a great time and went on and on about the delicious food san cooked up, how beautiful san's house and lancaster is, how much fun she had with pip and benedict and sara, how interesting was the maritime museum, and how nice the cafe was that they went to. i think i remember you blogging about that cafe, san. you visited with pip one day. and if you could send me the link to where you found so many of those delicious recipes, it would be helpful! i do remember how you said to make the butternut squash soup . . !

dressed up as construction workers at the maritime museum.

7 comments:

  1. So funny to see a picture of Pip on your blog!!

    Most of the recipes are in my head apart from the orange cake which was from the BBC good food site : 2 oranges including the skins cut into quarters and pulsed in a blender, 9 oz ground almonds. six eggs and 50 grams caster sugar all whizzed together. Tip into a greased baking tin and cook at 170C for 45 minutes.

    The baked cheesecake was from my river cottage everyday book and i will email you the recipe along with the lemon and cream chicken.

    I have sent Chanda home with some "english muffins" just hope they withstand the journey!! If I had known they were so popular, I would have bought more, as it is there are only a few left in the packet :-)

    The whaletail cafe is a place I have visited with both kids and the food there is really good.

    We are so pleased that Chanda enjoyed her stay xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm impressed you can pull them out of your head and plan such wonderful meals! You've motivated me to get back on track and make a meal calendar. I'm tired of winging it every night. We end up eating so late.

      I can't wait to try the crumpets! And I think I'll look at your Whale Tail post . .

      She did enjoy her time with you. Thanks so much! You have a lovely family :) xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Poor Greg, I don't know if Peter could do that. Peter thinks AAA should also take care of that, but I am not sure. So you also have the car inspection coming up? We do too. Peter has to take the car in on Friday, I believe. We keep getting these e-mails about the inspection. Did you know you could sign up for reminders?

    So nice to see Pip and Chanda -- although I first did not recognize either. I thought you had some new visitors: a boy (Chanda) and somebody dressed up as a pirate (Pip):).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !! He does do very well. He takes his time. And we do have AAA but of course it takes awhile for them to arrive. A few years ago I blew out a tire on a pothole and called AAA. There was no way I wanted to change the tire myself! (Plus it was wintertime!) However, after going through it with him last night, I think I would do okay . . if I had someone to help me . .

      Ha ha! Chanda and Pip do look like they are in disguise! Swallows and Amazons playing pirates! (I think that's the Peter Duck book . . )

      No, I didn't know about the reminders. That's very good. I should do that for next year. It always creeps up on us! We go back in on Saturday for more work on the car. They had to order a part for us. I'm glad we took it to the Ford dealership this year (it's a Ford Crown Victoria). They caught a problem which we've had for a few years, but no one did anything about it. We need something called sway bar links. Our car creaks, like it's old and decrepit! And it must be the sway bar links . . I'm glad it's getting fixed.

      Delete
    2. So they do take care of flat tires. That is good to know. It has never happened to me. I have only fixed lots of bike tires in my youth :).

      "Sway bar links," isn't it funny how many car parts there are and they each have names? I do hope that it will stop the creaking. Our car makes a whiny sound when going fast. Really annoying, but have no idea what it is.

      Delete
    3. I think that's very good to be able to fix bike tires!

      We finally got the car back today . . It no longer creaks but it does still squeak a little! Good luck with your car! What year is it?

      Delete