i've been reading anna karenina and knitting a very bulky sweater in rowan big wool yarn.
i'm not a big fan of working on size 19 needles . . even though items on such large needles knit up very quickly. i sized down to a 15 needle . . but it's too small so i'll be ripping out to the neckline and re-knitting on size 17 needles.
i've really been enjoying this book . . (this picture was taken awhile ago, i'm actually on the last few pages).
this is the our common threads cowl that i knit for the vogue knitting live event in january.
eight motifs were chosen from the vogue knitting stitchionary volume three by the vogue diversity committee. seen here are "go your own way" and "houndstooth,"
and "mountain lake" and "making waves." i used quince and co's chickadee, color gingerbread, and mcmullin fiber company's posh sock in the miss woodhouse colorway . . both stash yarns.







Is this sweater going to be for you? Did you just make the pillow cases? Your cowl looks complicated: Was it hard to do? Maybe you should take Charlotte's Russian Lit class.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think I would love Charlotte's Russian Lit class! The sweater will be for me and I made one of the pillow cases over a year ago, and finished the second about two weeks ago.
DeleteThe cowl was complicated. Color knitting is fun, and the difficulty lies in the intricacy of the pattern. The patterns above had a rhythm to them that was easy to alternate the two different skeins of yarn. There were two other patterns that were extremely hard as they kept changing and I needed to keep a careful eye on the chart. I'll take a picture of them in the morning. One was called "maze" and the other "morocco."
She had to take her midterm yesterday here at home (online). Well, if it is called "maze" it should be difficult! I think I don't have much patience for complicated patterns, but I marvel at the way they turn out.
DeleteI needed the thought of wearing it at the event to get me motivated to work. I'm always amazed that so many tests are online now. Was it an essay? Are they allowed to look up answers?
DeleteNo looking up answers and it was an essay.
DeleteI love the cowl, well done you! I also detest knitting on big needles, the garment might knit up quickly but large needles are so cumbersome! Anna Karenina, who knows maybe one day I might make the time to expand my literary knowledge :-) xx
ReplyDelete:) I had a difficult time getting into Anna Karenina, but once I did I always looked forward to reading it. I really liked War and Peace, also. Tolstoy is very philosophical, which I love.
DeleteSometimes Russian literature is very descriptive and wordy and hard to get used to, I think. Maybe one day I will try to read it.
Delete