Saturday, June 20, 2015

last minute costume shop fixes and another ballet . .

 in the morning chanda went to her acting class and i helped my friend with last minute costume changes. she worked on a tulle cape for one of the actors while i sewed snaps onto the bottom of a pair of pants and also ironed several shirts (her son was sewing lights onto a hat, and her daughter posed as her fit model, seen above). then i ran home to change and to meet chanda . . 

 as we had a long awaited date at the ballet (again . . so many shows this spring . . and all her friends are attending also . . they instagram one another about how wonderful the dancers are) . . 

 to see misty copeland and joseph gorak in romeo and juliet (yes, and we just saw evgenia dance on thursday!) . . misty has been on many magazine covers in the past few years (time, pointe, stella magazine/telegraph - here's the article which san just told us about today . .and dance magazine from 2010 . . ). she's been very open in talking about her self consciousness in regard to her skin color and body type, and how she's had to persevere and ask for particular roles that she felt she was due. she almost left american ballet theatre at one point, but a friend encouraged her to stay on and to talk with management. the result was her debut in firebird several years ago, and now the long overdue roles of odette/odile in swan lake and juliet in romeo and juliet. two of my favorite articles about her have appeared in the new yorker magazine. the first is by joan acocella where she exclaims that misty's promotion to principal at american ballet theatre is long overdue (the article can be found here), and the second is by rivka galchen, seen here, where she describes a bit of misty's struggle and daily life.

(misty has still not been made a principal dancer with abt, but since three female principals just retired this spring, we're hopeful that an announcement will be made soon promoting her . . we wonder if they will wait until the new season in september . . )

 we came out to a little bit of rain . . 

 we've always wanted to visit pj clark's across the street for lunch or dinner and decided to try it today since we were at a matinee. . we were lucky and were seated at a table by the window . . 

 nice view!

 chanda had an english rooibus tea which was incredibly delicious . . 

 and a mushroom burger with sweet potato fries . . while i had a chicken pot pie.

 we shared an amazing butterscotch pudding for dessert . . 

it was such a fun day . . !

2 comments:

  1. What a fab day! It was so funny to read about Misty Copeland and then see your feed on Instagram! I hope she is given the role of principal dancer soon she deserves it!

    Your meals looked mouth-wateringly amazing, I think you were right to share the dessert, it looked enormous!

    Happy Summer to you

    San and co xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the leftover lentil burger mix has not made it's way into a frying pan! I will clean out the refrigerator tomorrow and I think it will find it's way into the compost bin. Ah well. C'est la vie :) I need to think of what I would like to have in the house for dinner for Morgana. I think I'll make a fresh sour dough loaf, and granola and a special raw dark chocolate oat bar I just saw on the Sarah Carey/Martha Stewart movie email that comes into my inbox. They look really good. I'll share it in a post if I make it. It's supposed to go up to 90 degrees tomorrow so I think I might turn on the air conditioning if I'm going to do some cooking . . The past two summers were so wonderfully comfortable with rarely a day above 85. 90 degrees always does me in now. It never used to bother me! We can't believe that M is finally coming home. We're all very excited.

      Delete