Wednesday, July 1, 2020

books and yarn

 watching akhnaten inspired me to reread one of my favorite books from my childhood: the lost queen of egypt by lucile morrison.

 i originally found this book years and years ago, when i was about ten or twelve, on my hometown's library shelf, and excitedly checked it out to read at home.

 i bought the copy pictured above several years ago from alibris . . it was a pretty penny as the book is out of print.


it needs to be held carefully as the spine is a little loose.

 it's historical fiction, and tells the story of what the author thinks happened to tutankhamen and his queen, ankhesenamun . . from ankhesenamun's perspective of growing up in akhetaten (tell-el-armana) with her father and mother, akhnaten and nefertiti.

the yarn is from ginny sheller . . she was selling pre-mordanted single ply, and i hope to dye it with avocadoes that i currently have in the freezer.

----
p.s.

i got caught in the rain again today, when returning from an errand to the health food store . . 

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful book! Our library has this book, but I have never checked it out. Maybe I have to now. When I was about 12, I went to a huge Tutankhamen exhibition in Köln. It was wonderful. Rain? Not here :). I think it is interesting how different our weather seems to be recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our weather has been very different this year!

      I saw the King Tut exhibit when it came to the Met Museum. It was wonderful, wasn't it!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was! I still have a coloring book from it.

      Delete
  2. We’ve had some heavy downpours but they seem to be lifting. If the weather forecast is correct the sun should put in an appearance at the weekend 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some sunshine. We are getting our normal summer weather now: hot and humid. It takes awhile to get used to. Summer used to always be my favorite time of year, but now I'm finding it difficult to adjust :P

      Delete
    2. I think the humidity has been getting worse and worse each year. When we moved here, summers were hot, but not so humid.

      Delete