Friday, July 17, 2020

tea, summer meals and pluto

 i've been enjoying my new york chai tea from germany that eva sent me. it was a nice surprise, and it's sweet and light; perfect for summer mornings. thank you so much, dear eva.

 we've been having cucumber salads with all the cucumbers from the green market . . 

and also bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches with the delicious tomatoes and bibb lettuce . . 

 and this evening we had farm potatoes with baby spinach and käserkrainer (austrian cheese sausage) from the local butcher.

 pluto is interested in some saltwater taffy i received . . 

 and then he stole a skein of my yarn!

he's always so proud of himself when he does this . . he really just wanted me to feed him . .

 and then he was happy to sit and contemplate the birds, the river breeze and the many street noises outside our window.

 he also enjoyed watching star wars, episode viii with me today, the last jedi.

----

it grew very warm and humid this evening, but wednesday and thursday were incredibly beautiful days with cool breezes and low humidity. i had a few bursts of joy when walking around the neighborhood, passing happy people sitting and sipping tea, coffee and wine at the outdoor cafe tables. these days feel brighter, and i think we're all soaking them in; storing up for the fall.

10 comments:

  1. Pluto give the yarn back and then you can have your tea! Your meals always sound delicious. Happy Saturday xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pluto probably thinks the yarn is a mouse, the way he carries it! I am glad you are enjoying the tea. Your description of the people outside sounds almost "normal." I have not noticed such an atmosphere around us. I think people are all quite frustrated here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite frightening here when the hospitals were inundated with Covid patients. It was very stressful. All residents are willing to do their part to keep cases down and such a situation from happening again. There is a problem with young people congregating at bars now. I feel that most of them come in from out of town, or live lives that have not been touched by recent deaths due to the virus, or have family members who are not essential workers that have been living on the front lines of this pandemic.

      Delete
    2. I know, Florida has the same situation now. I think the young people are the problem wherever you go: They even have competitions to see who gets sick first I read! That is unbelievable.

      Delete
    3. oh! I heard about that too!

      Delete
  3. What kind of dressing do you use for your cucumber salad? My mother always made a sour cream dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sour cream dressing sounds delicious. I think I may try that next time. I just add a little bit of water to the apple cider vinegar, along with salt and pepper . . and thinly sliced onion.

      Delete
    2. My mom always used vinegar, sour cream, herbs, and a bit of oil for her cucumber salad. No onions or pepper, but salt.

      Delete
    3. That sounds very good. Fresh herbs would be nice, especially dill.

      Delete