Wednesday, January 1, 2020

happy new year

looking north out of the bedroom window, with the empire state building shining bright on the right.

when i was growing up, my family and i would always bang pot lids outside the front door, on the stoop, immediately after midnight. when we stopped banging the lids, we would listen to the sounds in the distance in the dark; we always heard others in the neighborhood also pounding their kitchen pots and pans. when my children were little, we would do the same at my parents' house out on montauk, but we never heard the answering clamor like when i was a child. i still like to listen to the new year's nighttime sounds . . tonight it was fireworks, the swish of the cars passing on west street, and people talking in the distance in the street. happy new year!

5 comments:

  1. We opened the door to let out the old year and let in the new one. There were no sounds outside, it was just bitter cold. This is so different from the fireworks in Germany! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice about opening the door! I can say the same for opening the window :) I remember the fireworks in Germany :) I was in the Köln train station one year for Silvestre!

      Delete
  2. Is it popular in the U.S. to have fireworks for new year? We have them everywhere in germany but when I lived in Ohio they did't do fireworks so I was just wondering. I like the sound of silence on the first of January. Its always the most quiet day during the whole year. Almost nobody is on the streets, no cars, everyone sleeping in and just the usual city noises seem to pause for one day. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireworks are popular here on the Fourth of July, but not for New Year's.

      Delete