Friday, January 3, 2020

book recommendations and gifts

 eva recommended the book, the grand mosque of paris, a month or so ago, and since it was in the nyc library i placed a hold and checked it out.

 the illustrations are beautiful and the story was well told and well researched by the authors who conducted first person interviews. it's a story about how a mosque in paris was able to help jewish residents hide during the second world war. i was also interested in the story as morgana had tea at the mosque's cafe when living in paris and studying the language a few years ago. it was fun to connect the cafe with the story. (i found the post with the photo of the tea they had: you can see it here, from the pigeon post blog.)

 pluto looking handsome and trying to look erudite . . 

and i've really enjoyed displaying our christmas cards with the twine and clips san sent.

9 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked the book! And Morgana went to the café, that is great! And we have the same twine string from San with our cards on it. It is right next to our dining-room table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very good and beautifully illustrated! I find I look at the cards much more with them hanging like this. Before I would just tape them to the door and it looked messy. This is neater and allows my eye to go from one to another. I've become a bit more fastidious as I grow older :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I have too! All the clutter annoys me now.

      Delete
  2. Catching up! Thank goodness Pluto is ok how on earth did he get the lace since he cannot climb?!! We have also been to that cafe in Paris many moons ago a few years before Ben put in an appearance:-). Your lovely card arrived late last week thank you for such loving words. We also had black eyed peas on NY thanks to pioneer woman! New Year blessings to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Pioneer Woman's website! That's great that you cooked black eyed peas. Pluto found the lace on the floor of Chanda's room. She had pulled it from her sweatshirt and left it lying around. Oh . . . well, you can bet we are all being very careful now. xoxo (How fun that you've been to the cafe.)

      Delete
  3. Happy new year to you and your family!Eva always has good book recommendations, I wonder if I could get this book in german. Will have a look. The story sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was, and Eva is a wonderful researcher!

      Delete
    2. Yes she is! I've ordered the book in english and will read it to the kids today. It fits in wonderfully since it was the day of remembrance of the victims of the holocaust on jan 27th and we speak about it. Also there are a lot of documentaries on tv this week. So thank you for posting this book!

      Delete