Tuesday, July 3, 2018

london update

in june, morgana made an excursion to hadleigh castle, east of london on the thames estuary. you can see the castle in the center of this photo, way off in the distance. according to wikipedia, it was built after 1215, during the reign of henry iii, by hubert de burgh, 1st earl of kent, justiclar of england (a medieval term for prime minister).

 the path leading to its tower . .

  it's a stone ruin now, though protected by english heritage trust . . 


 and was once a sizeable fortification to protect against a possible attack from france.

 while she was there, she came across a sign commemorating general william booth, founder of the salvation army along with his wife, catherine, and explaining the working farm they have in hadleigh. this was important news for me as i always thought the salvation army was founded in the u.s.

back on the boat: one day she called me while transporting her laundry on a cart to the laundrette. it sounded like a long way to go . . she had to cross the highway and walk twenty minutes to a place on st. stephen's road. this hike took her along the roman road (sounds very ancient and romantic), which has an open market on thursdays, saturdays, and tuesdays. unfortunately, i think it was a sunday evening.

i think these pics were taken the day after wash day. she was happy there was sunshine.


one day she received a vegetable box. 

broccoli, carrots, cabbage, onions, endive, fava beans . . 

and cucumbers . . it looks like a good meal.







mama duck and her ducklings . . 

the lymehouse mooring . . 

off to the cafe now . . 


to sit and write and drink cappuccinos until . .

 her friend deychen finally arrived for a visit.

 breakfast at a cafe directly across from the boat one morning.

 steering the boat along the canal to a new mooring . .


 museum visits . . 

 
 at the tate, i think.

in hyde park, overlooking christo's barrel pyramid which you can read about here.

a beautiful view with the millennium bridge and st. paul's . . and another haircut . .

4 comments:

  1. That was interesting about the Salvation Army. I never asked myself where it started. We do have the "Heilsarmee" in Germany, the same organization.

    Jonathan would have loved to see that castle :).

    I have never noticed many laundromats in London, there was one the students used sometimes, but it was really bad. They also had washing-machines at the place they stayed at. I am glad I don't have to do my laundry that way and carry it over such a distance. I could not do anything else with so many people.

    Hm, I think I like her better with longer hair . . ., but it is nice her friend is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I much prefer longer hair on the girls, but I do remember cutting mine just as short when I was her age. I also cut it really short when I was pregnant with Chanda, and I regretted it and vowed to myself never to do so again! I don't know why I have such strong feelings about hair length . .

      Delete
  2. P.S. The pyramid looks neat! It won't stay very long, though. That is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I always enjoy hearing about Christo's work! I would love to have experienced his floating piers in Italy's Lake Iseo in June and July of 2016. He did "The Gates" in Central Park in 2005, and I had friends who volunteered during the display by answering people's questions and directing them where to go. They loved being part of the project. I have a piece of fabric in my drawer that they gave out during an information session on how it would be constructed. I can't believe I never took pictures when it was up! You see photos on the stands around the park all the time, and I always feel a little sad that I never took my own pics. I do remember that we all were very sick that winter. We got out to see it, but I guess I didn't have my camera when we did! It was only up for a few weeks in February.

      Delete