Thursday, January 19, 2017

errands, hot chocolate, and fabric dyeing

today was such a beautiful day with blue skies . . the end of december and january are often very grey so i'm always appreciative of the sunshine.

 earl grey tea this morning . . (we received a few walnut boat candles for christmas from a friend) . . 

 and fresh homemade sour dough bread.

 morgana and i walked downtown to aljo, the dye store ellen always recommends.

 it's time to dye the costumes for the group dance she's doing for ellen's alumni concert in three weeks. she chose turquoise, military green, 

 golden yellow, magenta and scarlet. hmmm . . . i think she's doing lemon yellow also. she has six dancers who will be wearing unitards and a chiffon scarf.

 inside aljo . . 

 and then a hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows from baked, a coffee shop in tribeca.

 it was very good and very filling so morgana was lucky that i couldn't finish all of it.

i'm glad it was such a nice day on which to run errands.

in the evening at astor place where the cube is finally out again.

 i met morgana at the rod rodgers dance studio after her babysitting job to see the solo piece she was thinking of doing for ellen's show.


 it's very last minute though . . only three weeks until the concert, so it's not definite that it'll go in.
she's been so busy that it's been difficult to find the time to rehearse.

 dyeing two of the unitards . . 

 it was a long tiring process . . can you see madeline's head peeking out on the top left?

they're always hopeful that i'll feed them whenever i'm in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. You both have a mammoth dyeing job on your hands, the costumes will look amazing when they are finished. I love the name of the coffee shop, "baked" sounds so comforting just like the hot chocolate.

    Have you heard of the renegade knitters that are marching all wearing pink cat shaped ear hats? They are marching in protest against misogyny and Chumps derogatory referral to women's body parts. If you check out the NY designer Kathleen Dames on Instagram you will find her sporting such a hat!

    I cannot bear to hear that man's voice and refused to watch his inauguration. However I was collecting our car from the garage and it was on in the background and so I heard snippets at one point one of the psalms was being quoted, funny how politicians use God's Word when it suits them but then they totally miss the point of "love thy neighbour" as the second great commandment :-(

    Before I forget your lovely parcel arrived and cheered our spirits on Thursday :-). Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello San, yes, everyone is making the pretty pink pussy hats! It's very exciting. All the knitting shops are sold out of pink yarn and all my friends have one, either made by themselves or given to them. It's a movement! There's the march on Washington and there's the march here in NYC and it seems that there are marches everywhere . . even in London I think. I agree with you about politicians using God's Word only when it suits them :( The museums here in NYC were all free today as a protest, inviting people to view art rather than watch the inauguration.

      I'm so glad the package arrived! I send you a big hug xoxo

      Delete