Thursday, November 17, 2022

this week

keeping an eye on the birds that fly past the fire escape . .

morgan's friends are in town, visiting from london. they arrived saturday evening and are here for a week. we had a nice get together tuesday evening for which i made a vegetarian chili and they brought a delicious chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert. victoria joined us after a busy day of sorting through books and papers at her storage unit.

the kittens are enjoying the comfy space morgan made for them on the bookcase. amazingly, they slept here while we ate without bothering us.

my friend ron works as an extra for many different projects that film in the city and this year he is part of the screen actors guild nominating committee, and so received two guest tickets for the very first screening of the movie babylon. (this was yesterday, wednesday). the part i enjoyed most was the discussion afterwards with the director and actors.

funny little cricket who hopped into the kitty litter tray after i finished cleaning it and didn't want to get out.
 
 morgan and harley stopped by in the late afternoon today, early evening (it was dark out already), with an amp they had found on the sidewalk and stayed for tea and a chat and playtime with the kittens. last night they all had dinner at korrina's restaurant and i enjoyed hearing about the amazing dishes that were created for them. their favorite was the pear tart with oat pastry cream, sherry crumble and apple.

chanda is slowly improving, but a low fever has been persisting and she now has a painful sore throat. i'm hoping tomorrow she will feel a little less achy with no fever. pluto has been enjoying having her home more and cuddling together. (but she missed having any kind of celebration on her birthday, wednesday, the 16th, when i went to the movies.)

greg, i and victoria had a nice dinner together at home this evening and enjoyed talking about past days in the village before the twin towers and battery park city were even built (when victoria first moved here in the early '70's), and before the river park was created (greg and i in the late '80's). i'm hoping she finds some old photos of the neighborhood when going through her boxes.

it has been cold outside!! 40 degrees today and on tuesday and wednesday it felt like snow . . (there were flurries yesterday which i missed seeing as i was watching the film). i know it's even colder by eva and i'm sure she has had a decent amount of snow already (!). the point i want to make is that just last saturday i was wearing sandals and a t-shirt (and jeans) as we drove out to the house.

8 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Did Morgana's friends bring the ice cream from London? What was the movie about? Does Chanda have Covid? Maybe I missed something here. I hope she will get healthy quickly. What is an "amp"? It is even colder now, about 27 degrees. This temperature change came very quickly, didn't it? I think you cats feel quite at home now. We caught another mouse . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, another mouse! They are so difficult to get rid of. The ice cream was from a local store . . the Van Leeuwen store we went to a week or so ago. Chanda did have Covid! Thankfully, she is finally doing better. She tested negative for it after having it for two weeks. An amp is a speaker for an electric guitar or any electric musical instrument. The weather is up and down!

      Delete
    2. I think it was the last one . . . Two weeks is a long time. What was the movie about?

      Delete
    3. The movie was about some early hedonistic days of Hollywood. I had to close my eyes during some scenes and also (unfortunately) plug my ears . . I could tell how bad it was by my friend's physical flinching and his "oh, ou, oh" exclamations. I knew when I went it was going to be like this (it's titled Babylon after all) so I was prepared. It's the violent scenes I dislike the most even though I know it's all staged . . especially when there are animals involved . . so I definitely don't recommend this film but Ron and I had a fun adventure :)

      Delete
    4. Oh, I don't would like to see something like that at all!

      Delete
  2. I hope Chanda is recovered - isn’t it demoralising when you are unwell on your birthday
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been taking a long time for her to get well . . she hasn't been happy! Thankfully, she is finally feeling better now.

      Delete