sea fever
i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
and the wheel's kick and the wind's song
and the white sails shaking,
and a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.
i must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
and all i ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
and the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the sea-gulls crying.
i must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
to the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
and all i ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
john masefield, salt-water ballads, 1902
birthday cappuccino with oatmilk . . (we'll watch the unitarian universalist general assemply service this morning at 10) . . (and the royal ballet has woolfworks up on their youtube channel . . i watched it friday and posted about it here.)


Happy birthday, Dorina! This is one of the poems we have used for memorization :). We went to church again today, but since there are only 30 people allowed and no singing, it is a bit sad to go. We did not even get the allowed 30, only 15! You can't even talk to people because an usher (Jonathan) lets people in and out, pew by pew, so there is basically no possibility for contact.
ReplyDeleteWill you have a cake?
Hello Eva. Thank you for my birthday wishes :) Yes, I had a Sachertorte slice from the neighborhood Austrian restaurant. It was delicious. Chanda ordered the apple strudel, so we shared.
DeleteI can empathize with feeling sad about church as I really miss singing . . and definitely talking! Coffee hour is always so fun. I do miss that from meeting Korrina at the UU church in Brooklyn.
Perfect! I am amazed how much is open and working by you. Miriam needed a few dresses for a summer college event, but the store does not let you try on their clothes. You have to buy them and try them on at home. I did not go to to store because it is an hour away and I hate those masks you need to wear.
DeleteWe have not had "Coffee and Donuts" for ages in our church, but just talking after Mass is also impossible because people have to leave one by one and there is no place outside to talk.
What happened to the handle to your cup?
ReplyDeleteHa ha! It broke a long time ago . . we actually have many cups without handles and every once in awhile Greg asks if we can get rid of them, and I always say no . . because I like them so much.
DeleteI am more radical when it comes to mugs like this: I throw them out.
Delete:D I hope Miriam was able to find a dress she liked. We can't try anything on in stores here either.
DeleteI still have to check if any of the ones she picked fit. Charlotte went along to help her pick out a few.
DeleteSounds like a fun sister outing! :)
DeleteAll the outfits fit! I think they had a lovely time.
DeleteOh, nice! I hope we get to see some :)
Delete