Thursday, June 11, 2020

a lecture and a visit, and a little bit of pluto

i'll begin today's post with a photo of pluto, since he looked so cute sitting on chanda's bed.

 last night, in the manhatan borough president's daily email, it was mentioned that hunter college was presenting a webinar with joachim pissarro, great grandson of camille pissarro.

 i registered for it (free!) and tuned in at 10:30 am (while making toast and tea!)

it was very interesting and i enjoyed hearing about the friendship of pissarro with paul cézanne, and also a funny little story about cézanne scratching his head at pissarro's dinner table, and when pissarro's wife asked him what he was doing, he answered, "oh no worries, julie, it's just fleas!" (this story was shared at the end when a lecture attendee asked if there was information that joachim had received that would have been due to his familial relationship rather than his professor or researcher status).



i think this is a photo of pissarro with his wife julie . .

----

after the lecture, i went out to visit chanda's choreography teacher . . i walked along bleecker street past our lady of pompeii .

 and rocco's pastry shop . .

where everything is for take out only . . 

to ellen's apartment, where we kept six feet apart and i made sure to wash my hands. we met at her place, as she was waiting for her air conditioner to arrive. she stores it with a company that services it for her and installs it each summer. the workers all wore masks when they arrived, and ellen and i wiped the door handles and windowsills down after they left.

this is her next door neighbor's apartment, whose plants she is watering . .

 it's such a pretty little apartment that i took a few pictures . . 

and a short video.

 back in ellen's place i had a special cold brew coffee . . 

 and a dish of delicious ice cream that she found at the morton williams supermarket near her . . 

 mint chip and vanilla . . 

 ellen always has the most interesting stories to tell and photos to share. this is a picture of her father with toscanini, who conducted the nbc symphony orchestra in the 1950's. i believe her father is the man in the top left row.

 in her tutu, sewn by her mother.

these are two photos of her teaching the martha graham technique to fellow students at brandeis university where she studied biology and then psychology. she had studied the graham technique with her teacher pearl lang in the city while growing up as a teen in yonkers, and then while she attended nyu for one and a half years before transferring to brandeis. she said her friends paid her 75 cents for two classes a week. she needed to make $6.75 as that was the amount of pay she was giving up with the biology lab job she had in order to the class (at her friends' request). i guess she had nine students.


 i left around 2:45 to make it home before the rain began . . 




 the linden trees are beginning to bloom . . 

back at home i searched my iphoto library for specific photos morgana needed for a resume or application . . i'm not sure which. as you can see pluto got impatient for dinner when the search went on for too long. he likes to pull the tablecloth off the table when i'm not paying proper attention to him.
----
i added a few protest photos and two videos to sunday's post, which you can see here.

3 comments:

  1. That lecture sounds very interesting. I think I would have enjoyed it. So nice that you could see Ellen. Is she very lonely? There are so many lonely people these days. Our county has a special service for people in our area that feel isolated due to Corona. I think this is a very good idea. I don't think our linden tree has flowers yet. I should go and check, but most of the time I work in the yard in the afternoons. We have so many weed and have neglected the yard quite a bit over the years. Pluto should not be so impatient! Did you find the pictures you needed? We don't feed Julius on a schedule. We always leave food out for him. He does not eat much and is outside most of the time anyway, but when he is hungry and the food is gone, he let's us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found all the photos Morgana asked for except the dance photos of "Unanswered Question;" a piece by Anna Sokolow, set on the class by the artistic director of the company. I didn't attend the tech for that piece.

    I've never been much of a gardener. My mom and my aunt gardened, and my friend Marisa spends all day outside in her garden in Vermont . . but I've never felt the calling :P Maybe things will change now that I need to work on my parents' house more. My sister and brother-in-law take good care of their garden in CT . . my brother-in-law used to grow vegetables when his youngest was still home, but not lately. It's a lot of work, and sometimes difficult on one's back . . ? Good luck with your garden. I hope you get help from a few family members. I hope a few seeds managed to sprout from the packs I sent.

    No, Pluto should NOT be so impatient! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good you found the pictures. We used to have more vegetables, but the soil is so bad around here that it is hard work. Right now we just fight the weeds, that is our gardening. The girls are growing things. I have to go and look who their garden is coming along. And yes, knees, back, it all hurts. I guess this is more for young people.

    ReplyDelete