Thursday, May 21, 2020

the twenty first of may - morgan's birthday

 in honor of morgana's birthday, i had my oatmeal this morning in the morgane bowl, which is from france and was a gift from our friend camille to morgana several years ago.

 at 12:30 pm, chanda set up zoom and greg, korrina, chanda and i sang happy birthday to the birthday child (morgana has been quarantining with jenny in somerset, with jenny's family).

 and then we all played scattergories, which was hilarious. i spoke with my nephew on tuesday to get the details on how to play online, as my sister did this with him on mother's day. it was so much fun and i'd like to do it again soon.

saying good-bye . . they were off to a birthday meal of indian food.

earlier in the day they had a picnic on burrow mump:

 isn't it beautiful? so idyllic! historians think the hill was once a norman fortification during the war between empress matilda (the daughter of henry the first) and her cousin stephen of blois in the early twelfth century (matilda's son eventually became henry the second). the path leads to the ruins of st. michael's church, originally built in the mid-fifteenth century, and then rebuilt in 1793. you can read more about it on wikipedia.

 such a spectacular day for a picnic . . 


 happy birthday dear morgan . . it was so nice to spend part of it with you via cyberspace . .

----
 after the birthday celebration, greg went back to work, chanda went for a walk, pluto gazed out the window . .

  . . . and i had a chat with jeanette in brooklyn, who was tan from sitting out on her patio!

she and tony have been growing roses and lavender and basil (both of the pics above are by tony which i stole from  his instagram page).

above is tonight's dinner which was sautéed shitake mushrooms, brown rice and natto beans. when i was in the health food store on sixth avenue last weekend with greg, i saw they had organic natto beans. i used to buy homemade natto beans for five dollars from a friend's friend when we lived in brooklyn (about eighteen years ago!). chanda tasted them this evening, but wasn't crazy about the flavor. they're sticky and smelly, like limburger cheese. korrina and morgana used to love it and would devour the container with me. greg doesn't touch it, even though it's very healthy for you and is an excellent source of vitamin k2, good for one's heart and bones (it aids in calcium absorption).

greg couldn't handle the emotional highs and lows of friends, so we've switched to a half hour of i love lucy each night with him, (after which chanda and i still watch an episode of friends. we're in the middle of season four. we skipped around a little, but are now watching sequentially).

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Morgana! Today is Flora's birthday. Burrow Mump looks interesting. Peter's family loves those "I love Lucy" movies. Did you know that "Lucy" is from around this area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva. Happy Birthday to Flora. Yes, I remember that she was from upstate . . I think my mom used to say that (about Lucille Ball). She was from the Jamestown area, just west of you!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Jamestown, there is a museum there, but we have never been to it. Jamestown is not super close, but also not too far. It's on the way to Mercyhurst. I feel old today, must be Flora's birthday and young people in general. Just looking at their Instagram accounts and reading their words makes me feel like I belong to a different world. Did you know that our college now requires all professors to teach every course online as well as in person? I am not quite sure how this is possible, but that is what will happen in the fall and then continue indefinitely.

      Delete
    3. That sounds confusing to me . . teaching every course online AND in person? Wby teach in person if you have to teach online, and vice versa. Are they dividing the classes in half so that there are less students in the room? Will they, then, have the students take turns with learning in class and learning online?

      In regard to Flora's birthday and feeling older, I often feel the same, and I think my parents' did also.

      Delete
    4. I am not sure, I guess they are afraid that some students won't come back and would prefer online. I think the idea is to not lose students. No, they are not dividing the students up. I think they are still working out the details. You either choose the online class or the real one.

      Peter and I today discovered, that even at the college there are only about 10 professors that have been here longer than we have. That makes you feel real old.

      Delete