Wednesday, May 6, 2020

knitting and a book recommendation on may sixth

 i'm knitting a pair of plain socks with yarn from a mother and daughter dye company based in texas, olive yarns. i found the yarn at the 2019 vogue knitting live event, when i went with korrina. the colorway is called "city lights and taxi cabs", and i thought they caught the colors of nyc very well. i'm also reading lucy maud montgomery's emily of new moon. it's just as wonderful as anne of green gables, and i highly recommend it. it's the first of a trilogy, and the following books are emily climbs, and emily's quest. i never read these books until i was 26, when a fellow acting friend (named emily!) told me about them. they were her favorite.

"it had always seemed to emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside--but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond--only a glimpse--and heard a note of unearthly music."

(from chapter one, the house in the hollow)

----

 also, the date today has a special place in my heart as it's my mom's birthday . . or would have been her 96th birthday. she was born may 6, 1924. i've been thinking about her today, and remembering the wonderful birthday celebrations we've had together.
 
here she is with kathy, warren and chanda in 2018; the last birthday we celebrated together.


singing happy birthday . .


and getting some help with blowing out her candle . .

mom and i from a visit two months after her birthday in july. we always enjoyed sitting quietly in the gazebo at her assisted living place and listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the birds singing.

3 comments:

  1. I read those Emily books. We have them too! You know, another really lovely title from Montgomery is "The Blue Castle." I really like that one. Do you know it?

    Thanks so much for posting these pictures of your mom. I had to think of my mother on Mother's Day and I did call my father of course. My siblings sent flowers to the nursing home she is at and I had an e-card I sent to my father. He printed it out and sent it to the nursing home as well. It is very strange to celebrate this day without speaking to my mother. When I was thinking of my mother, I had to think of yours (before I had seen these pictures here) and wondered how you were doing when Mother's Day comes around. So many memories come back on a day like this (and for you it is even your mother's birthday). I think my maternal grandmother war born in 1921, not so much older than your mother. Life is so short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eva, I was looking for information on when I bound off my temp blanket and came across this old post. It doesn't seem that I ever responded, so I thought I would now, though I do remember reading it. I have read _The Blue Castle_ (per your recommendation!) and really loved it.

      Life is so very short! Your grandmother was very close in age to my mom, and I remember you writing that your dad printed out the ecard for your mom. We don't talk or write often about your dad or mom these days, but I wanted you to know that I do think of them, and include them in my prayers. I send you much love xoxoxo (in this third week of December, 2021 leading up to Christmas! There's so much to do!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I am glad you liked it. I thought it was more for older girls and I also thought it was quite funny and real.

      Thanks so much for including my parents in your prayers. My mom is on our church's prayer list. Last time I talked to my dad, he all kinds of problems: The heating did not work in all parts of the house (it is a fairly new furnace), he was looking for a key and could not find it, and now my brother has Covid. He does need prayers!

      Yes, there is quite a bit to do, and we have not started with real Christmas preparations. College stuff always keeps us from doing so. Jonathan got home tonight and Charlotte came home Monday. Peter still needs to do a lot of grading (I only have my one student), Charlotte is done with her classes, but Jonathan still has a final left. Miriam is finishing up her online math class. We are not doing homeschooling next week, though.

      Delete