at 2:30 pm i met korrina standing next to patience (the lion) at the main library branch on fifth avenue.
we walked around to the back of the library to spend a little time at the outdoor knitting circle that meets on tuesdays in bryant park (hosted by the yarn shop knitty city).
they like to meet by the gertrude stein statue . . gertrude is looking chic in her knitted orange scarf that she gets to wear for a few hours each week.
spinning . .
afterwards, we visited the walt whitman exhibit at the library.
the schwarzman research library's main lobby . .
constructed all of marble . . . . perhaps from tennessee, which is where the marble for the lions came from.

walt whitman's personal copy of his book leaves of grass which was published in 1855. on the right side is pinned a homemade notebook (one of eight) with notes for future printings.
a letter to his mother written in 1866. they were very close and corresponded frequently, discussing family matters and current events.
korrina and i then visited the japanese bookstore, kinokunia, on sixth avenue, just a block away.
a memoir and a cook book . .
an adorable cloth . . i'll have to ask again what it means. she had looked it up for me.
we then ended up downtown in the neighborhood for a glass of rosé at a local place called entwine . . which i always think of as ent-wine . . as in tolkien and ents and treebeard (and their special elixir).
in this photo i'm admiring her special summer stitch markers. she's participating in the knit-a-long for the shelley summer top, by nancy ricci.

















What a nice day you have had! Did you like the Whitman exhibition? He had very good penmanship. Korrina is such a good knitter!
ReplyDeleteIt was a very good exhibit. I actually have many more photos that I took with my phone. I might try and post them later. He was a nurse during the Civil War, just as Louisa May Alcott was, but I don't think they bumped into each other. Isn't his handwriting lovely?! People's handwriting was so much better in those days. Sometimes, I still like to practice my handwriting . . I find it actually helps for me to sit down and repeat the letters over and over. (I'm rolling my eyes as it may sound tedious, and it is, but it does help. My sister and brother-in-law both have beautiful handwriting and I've often striven to equal that.)
DeleteI'm so glad Korrina likes to knit and spin. The knitting community is very supportive and nowadays, well connected.
Yes, good handwriting is rare and to improve it, you do need to practice. Mine used to be much better than it is now. I think we type too much.
DeleteI did not know that Whitman was a nurse. That is rather unusual for a man back then, isn't it?
The knitting community must be a bit like the Amish quilting bees.
DeleteYes, I think it was unusual (?) and you are right about the knitting community: very much like the Amish quilting bees! The modern version!
Delete