Sunday, February 5, 2017

all day sunday (with poem)

when i woke this morning i found their flowers, given to them by friends last night, sitting in the jug of  filtered drinking water on the kitchen counter. i switched them into a new home in a vase by the window, but so much for drinking that water.

 breakfast went fast . . 

 morgana and i had tea while chanda got ready for her one pm dance performance. then we all dispersed . . morgana to pack last minute items and to say good-bye to her friends around the corner, and i to clean the kitchen and get ready to see the one pm show (for which morgana read the poster signs that introduced each piece).

 at the theatre . . after the four pm show . . 







and then it was time for a light dinner (sweet potato fries and rice with black eyed peas) before we were off to take morgana to the airport:







she's on her way to see her austrian family before beginning her french language course in paris.

the poems i read at dinner (which i had forgotten to read at breakfast) . .

from song of the open road

afoot and light-hearted, i take to the open road,
healthy, free, the world before me,
the long brown path before me, leading wherever i choose.

henceforth i ask not good-fortune--i myself am good fortune;
henceforth i whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
strong and content, i travel the open road.

the earth--that is sufficient,
i do not want the constellations any nearer;
i know they are very well where they are;
i know they suffice for those who belong to them.

by walt whitman

and this last one is one we would end our circle time with . .

at the ringing of the bells

to wonder at beauty,
stand guard over truth,
look up to the noble,
resolve on the good:
this leadeth one truly
to purpose in living,
to right in one's doing,
to peace in one's feeling,
to light in one's thinking,
and teaches one trust
in the working of God,
in all that there is,
in the width of the world,
in the depth of the soul.

by rudolf steiner

4 comments:

  1. I hope she made it fine! Time is so short here in London. I never get to do my blog much. I am either grading or preparing something. When I saw your Steiner poem, I was reminded of the anthroposophical lectures you can go to here. Unfortunately, they are all expensive, late, and far away. I have a program here, but I do not think there is anything I will get to go to.

    Oh, and you only have Chanda at home now. That must be strange.

    Today the ATM swallowed our debit card: Gone! There is no way to get it back. Luckily, mine is still working. And the new thermostat has still not been installed. Apparently, it is very hard to get appointments with the plumbers here (that is the same back home, though). We walked around Big Ben today. We had to be out of the house for the cleaner. It was cold! And tonight was my Skype class. The students were a bit silly today :). We laughed a lot.

    Time for bed now!

    Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eva,

      Yes, she arrived in Austria and will probably go skiing tomorrow :)

      That's too bad about the lectures, though I usually don't get out at night anyway because I'm getting dinner together and looking forward to sitting down with whoever is home. It is strange just having Chanda and we all miss Morgana :) I'm sorry to hear that the thermostat is not installed. We need more plumbers in this world! My plumber for my mom's house out on Long Island forgets to come and fix things sometimes (he gets so busy).

      It's nice to have a cleaner, and it sounds like it was a fun day :) Good night!

      Delete
    2. Good she made it! Skiing! I am ready for spring. I do not miss the snow at all :).

      Delete
    3. I am so ready for spring this year!!!!

      Delete