Friday, April 5, 2024

earthquake

where was i at 10:20 am when my building began to roll from a 4.8 magnitude earthquake? in the bathroom, as were my sister and neighbor (i came to find out). a knitting friend was in the shower and marisa was in the bath. i'm sure there were others caught in compromising positions, but these are all the ones i know. charlotte was in the hallway and thought maybe somebody was bouncing around in the apartment above (maybe because i said that perhaps they were working out as they often do) and korrina was at home. chanda was in brooklyn. greg was at work where he said all the monitors on the table were shaking.

we had one in 2011 but it wasn't as intense as today's. many of us had a big fright, myself included. california is supposed to have earthquakes, not new york city . . nor new jersey where the epicenter was. my nephew in burlington didn't feel it, but marisa said tsering (who was also in vermont) did feel a slight tremor.

so that was the big news . . 

korrina said wash was a bit troubled, but settled down before she left for work. i have no idea how my cats reacted because i was not paying attention to them. i was too busy knocking on my neighbor's door to see how she was, reading texts from kendall and chanda and greg, and talking to korrina on the phone.

when i got to milly for her friday walk, she seemed unfazed and stretched out a long downward dog as if she had been sleeping for hours. chanda is home now, greg is on his way, charlotte is at tech and i'm heating up soup for dinner. 

well, add earthquakes to that list of things new yorkers should or shouldn't worry about . . and good to know that our city government's response was quick and seemed to be thorough with infrastructure officials reporting that bridges and tunnels, etc., checked out fine and inspections were continuing.

(looking back to 2011, i see that it was a 5.9 with the epicenter in richmond, virginia. this was only a 4.8, but was much closer, 40 miles west of us, and so it felt very strong.)

and we just had a tremor/aftershock as i write this . . 

----

here's pluto trying to decide if he should jump to the top shelf where zuzu is . . (he didn't, chanda distracted him and he decided to jump down instead.)

8 comments:

  1. All the news reports here have focused on the earthquake - glad to hear that you are ok , but it does sound really scary
    Cats have very sensitive internal weather barometers - I wonder if they knew what was coming ?
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had paid more attention to the cats! I was too wrapped up in my own surprise.

      Delete
  2. It must have been quite a shock! I just read that there have been at least eleven aftershocks, but most of them were not really noticeable. Jonathan said that some of his classmates felt something, but he did not. I am glad that nothing bad happened. I remember an earthquake that must have been similar in strength in Bonn while I was still a student (in 1992). It was a 5.2 one and I will never forget the helpless feeling. That earthquake did cause widespread damage and injured people by falling roof tiles and chimneys, but nobody died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's good everyone was okay Eva. It's so strange when it occurs! And, yes, quite a helpless feeling.

      Delete
    2. Yes, and I am glad nothing happened to all of you.

      Delete
  3. Glad to read you were all ok. Dave told me about the quake yesterday I’ve been behind with the news. He new about it because he has a digital subscription to the New York Times xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave is up on the NYC news! I've been thinking about getting a subscription to the Times, London. What London paper does he read? I also like the Guardian.

      Delete