Saturday, April 11, 2020

a poem for saturday and easter preparations


the rainbow

love is a rainbow that appears
when heaven's sunshine lights earth's tears.

all varied colors of the light
within its beauteous arch unite:

there passion's glowing crimson hue
burns near truth's rich and deathless blue;

and jealousy's green lights unfold
'mid pleasure's tints of flame and gold.

o dark life's stormy sky would seem,
if love's clear rainbow did not gleam!

by effie waller smith (1879 - 1960)

----

 morning breakfast (toasted banana bread) . . before cleaning around the apartment and preparing hot cross buns.

 hot cross bun dough rising . .

 and a few eggs in with onion skins . .

4 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Dorina! I hope your buns turned out. What book are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm really enjoying my book! It's _Three Summers_ by Margarita Liberaki. I saw it when browsing through a local bookstore, and then was happy to see that my library had it. The author writes about three summers of her and her older sisters' lives from when she was sixteen. The buns came out very nice. I ended up baking them in the morning, so they were very fresh. I found I liked the ones baked at a higher temperature for less time, as they were more moist inside. (I did two batches.) Piping on the icing was very difficult!

      Delete
    2. The icing sometimes just spreads out and you cannot see the crosses anymore, right? I sometimes have this problem.

      Delete
    3. Ugh . . yes . . it was a mess!

      Delete