Thursday, December 5, 2019

thursday

the light was beautiful today, especially as it was reflected off the freedom tower when i was walking downtown to meet friends for hot chocolate at burdick's. 

it glistened turquoise, pink, pale purple . . 

and steel blue grey in the late afternoon. i had been in chelsea doing holiday shopping errands, and then after dropping two bags off at home, i walked to soho.

the young ones were in ellen's dance class while the moms and i had peppermint mochas and hot chocolate. we all felt festive as holiday decorations are up everywhere and everyone seems to be in a lighter frame of mind.

walking home the empire state building looked pretty lit up with white and red lights (the red is difficult to see in this photo).

at home i made a dinner that was almost completely orange . . maybe next week i'll make salmon with carrots and sweet potatoes, rather than chicken.

i had stopped at trader joe's on the way home to pick up a panettone for $4.99 . . we've never had it before and i wanted to give it a try . . the verdict is that it's very good, just a tad sweeter than the sophia brand we've had in the past.

11 comments:

  1. I've loved catching up with you! I think my favourite was reading and listening to this year's Thanksgiving aswell as when jonathan and Charlotte visited. Happy Saturday and almost second week of Advent xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, San. It was a fun holiday, and I can't believe tomorrow is the second Sunday of Advent already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at your orange food! I went for a walk with Flora and Peter today and we also had some beautiful light in the sky. It was getting dark, but there was an edge of purple and red where the sky met the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures from New York. I've been to N.Y. once when I started my exchange year but it was only for two days, it was way too short to really see anything. I remember beeing 16 and wondering about all the skyscrapers that went so far up into the sky that I had never seen before. :-) Your pictures put me in the mood to go back to N.Y. one day. Peppermint mochas sounds great and christmas atmosphere is surrounding us here in the cities as well. We use to make salmon with leaf spinach, I love salmon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like living here very much . . and we have a lot more tourists now than we used to. Do you remember where you stayed, and where did you spend your exchange year?

      Delete
    2. I think it was a Sheraton Hotel that we stayed in it was in Manhattan somewhere. I flew into Pittsburgh from there and stayed with a family near Amsterdam, Ohio, totally out in the countryside. :-) But I loved it, we all spent much time together and my host mom with her grandson visited us a here a couple of years ago.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's really nice! Ohio is beautiful. Some of my husband's family is from Zanesville, about an hour southwest of Amsterdam, OH. We drove cross country two years ago and I loved watching the terrain change from temperate to desert.

      Delete
    4. Funny how small the world is - the U.S. is so big and still you know the area. :-) I loved it there even though it was totally out in the country. For now I would say I'm happy to live in a small town. Not too much action but not lonely either. Are you from New York or have you moved there?

      Delete
    5. I grew up on Long Island so I was always familiar with the city.

      Delete
    6. Long Island must be beautiful to live there! Thomas and I have thought about moving to a city when the kids are out of the house. There is just way more stuff to do in a city. I like your pictures of New York. My host mom from Ohio goes to N.Y. City eaach year before christmas for christmas shopping. She loves it.

      Delete
    7. Yes, my parents brought my sister and I to see the lights and decorations every year.

      Delete