morgana's suitcase was very full, so we needed to pick up a belt from the travel store on our way home from the gallery visit with ellen.
madeline wanted to be in the midst of all the packing activity.
last minute organzing . .
and picking the lint off my coat for me . .
driving along the belt parkway . .
towards the verrazano . .
and to jfk . .
when we were leaving, a woman who was saying good-bye to her son for his first airplane trip, asked if it got any easier.
i first started to say yes, but then realized i had to say no. definitely . . no. it never gets easier. we just keep breathing and growing our personal pearls.
when i was little, my aunt gave me a book titled "amy loves good-byes." i don't love good-byes, but i am compelled to fully live them.
waiting for greg, who decided he would like to visit a diner in bay ridge that we used to go to . . thirty years ago! he said that several times . . "thirty years ago."
passing gotham rising up west of canarsie in the sunset . .
bay ridge with the verrazano in the distance . .
we used to call it the DNA diner, as it had a sculpture that looked like DNA . . this is no longer so.
matzoh ball soup . .
and omelettes . .
and then home over the brooklyn bridge after traversing third avenue in brooklyn . .























Good travels! I was very sad when Jonathan left after Christmas, I did not feel like that when he started college. Very strange! Funny that Greg wanted to see that diner.
ReplyDeleteI have recently heard so many personal bad stories about international travels and JFK that I don't want to fly through there anymore.
Time for bed! It is cold!
Yes, I think the first time you feel that they must go on their new adventure, but afterwards you feel disgruntled that they can't just enjoy being with you more than anything else in the world . . like they used to!! Ha! Ah, it's not easy letting them go . . :) Bad travel stories at JFK? I'm not surprised! :)
DeleteOh - and so she heads back for Europe!
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard saying good-bye. I also hate it, although it is a bit easier when you are the one getting on the plane.
Thank you so much for the Christmas card, by the way!
Hugs
XOXOXO
Hello Christine! Yes, I think it is easier when one is anticipating wonderful adventures :) I'm glad you liked the card. I always enjoy creating it :) xoxo
DeleteIt never gets any easier! Every time I have to say goodbye to Em I feel like my heart is being broken into a thousand pieces. We are hoping to visit her this year for the first time since she entered religious life at 18. Dave and Sara saw her make her first vows when I was pregnant with Pip but Ben and I stayed home. She is now living in a community in Northern Italy but first we need to sort out passports :-). Sending you a big hug dear friend xx
ReplyDeleteYes, I often think of you and Em whenever Morgana gets on a plane. I will keep you in my prayers for a smooth and easy visit to Em! I think that's wonderful you are thinking of going, though I know how difficult traveling can be, mentally and physically. Northern Italy is very beautiful and of course seeing her there would be so fulfilling. xoxo
Delete